Târgu Mureș, the city
Tîrgu-Mureş (Hungarian Marosvásárhely ; German: Neumarkt ) is the seat of Mureș County in the north-central part of Romania.
The first written reference to the city was in the Latin Novum Forum Siculorum in 1332 followed by mention as Sekulvasarhel (modern Hungarian: Székelyvásárhely), meaning "new market of the Székelys", in 1349. Geographically, Târgu Mureş is distant 346 km from Bucharest, 480 km from Belgrade, 515 km from Budapest and 598 km from Sofia and is located in the Mureș River valley. The city spreads out from Fortress Church in the center of the town, built in the 14th century, to form an area of 49.3 square kilometres. The city is located at the centre of the historical region of Transylvania and covers an area of 49.3 square kilometres (19.0 sq mi). It lies at the junction of three geographical regions of Transylvania (Transylvanian Plain, Mureş Valley and Niraj Valley) at 330 meters above sea level.
Many personalities have been born or lived in the city and helped shaping it in different fields:Tamás Borsos (1566-after 1633), Péter Apor (1676–1752), Sámuel Teleki (1739–1832), Farkas Bolyai(1775–1856), János Bolyai(1802–1860), András Sütő (1927–2006) etc. The city was the home of composer György Orbán (born 1947),SMURD doctor Raed Arafat (born 1964) and football player László Bölöni (born 1952).
The first fortress in the town was erected in 1492 upon order of Transylvanian voivode Stephen Báthory, and was accomplished somewhere between 1602 and 1652 under judge Tamțs Borsos. Having a pentagon plan, surrounded by a defense wall, the Citadel has seven forts, five of them bearing the names of the guild which – according to tradition – supported its maintenance: the leather dressers’, the tailors’, the butchers’, the ironmongers’, the coopers’. The Teleki-Bolyai Library is a historic public library and current museum in the town. One of the richest Transylvanian collections of cultural artefacts, it was founded by the Hungarian Count Sámuel Teleki in 1802, at the time when Transylvania was part of the Habsburg Monarchy, and has been open to the reading public ever since. The old City Hall was built in 1906-1907 after the construction plans of Komor Marcell and Jakab Dezső. The entrance area, including the corridor and the staircase leading to the first floor, is the most representative in this regard. The ribbed stellar vaults that cover this area were inspired by Gothic arhitecture. The Cultural Palace is a remarkable construction in the city center. It was built upon initiative of the mayor of the town, György Bernády. Building works started in the spring of 1911.
The city is home to the Peninsula/ Félsziget Festival, Romania's biggest music festival.
Renowned universities like the University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Petru Maior University and Sapientia University account for more than 10,000 students between them. The Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania is an institution of Hungarian higher education in Transylvania. Its establishment was motivated by needs outgrowing the present choice of Hungarian university education in Romania, especially that the percentage of Hungarian students in Romanian university life does not represent the percentage of Hungarian population in the country, and university education in Hungarian does not cover the range of necessary specializations. Other universities are the Theatre University and Dimitrie Cantemir University.
Faculty Of Technical And Human Sciences
The University Campus and the new central building offer infrastructural conditions of high standard. Students have 3 indoor amphitheatres and almost 50 lecture rooms and fully equiped laboratories (informatics, electronics, mecanics and electron microscopy). The building also houses the administrative departments, academic departments and the university library.